(Professor is explaining the college's consequences for plagiarism a day before our first paper is due)
Student: So, what if we just happen to think of the exact same ideas as someone else and put it in the exact same words without realizing it?
Professor: I really doubt that would happen, especially for an assignment like this where you're going to be referencing authors for every point you make or attack.
Student: But what if...like...what if something I say happens to look exactly like something on Wikipedia, for example?
Professor: You're not going to have the same word-for-word ideas for this paper as someone put on Wikipedia.
Student: Okay. But, what about...what if I wrote something, and then uploaded it to Wikipedia, but when you checked it you didn't know I put it there so you thought I stole it?
Professor: Did you do that?
Student: I mean, no, but what if?
Professor: Just don't do that.
Student: But I mean, you couldn't know if I wrote it or not...so it could be my work?
Professor: Do we need to have a conversation?
---
+3 because if you're going to plagiarize from Wikipedia, at least try not to draw attention to it. You're not being smooth.
No comments:
Post a Comment